Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Getting into the Holiday Spirit


By: Tyler Myers, United Way Intern

On the evening of December 5th I volunteered at Arc Midstate’s Christmas party.  I greeted people as they arrived for the party and made sure they had a nametag.  I helped make sure that everyone who wanted to see Santa got a chance to get their picture taken with him. 

You could feel the excitement in the air as people arrived.  There was a lot of anticipation to see the Project Challenge Choir and of course, Santa.  One person told me they got there early to make sure they had a front row seat for the concert.  I wasn’t sure how many people would be coming.  This was my first time attending the event.  By the time the concert started there were nearly 200 in attendance, a full house!

I had fun watching the concert.  It was entertaining and interactive.  They encouraged everyone in the crowd to sing along with them if they knew the words to any of the songs.  Many took them up on that offer and joined in.  The room was filled with smiles, laughter, and plenty of Christmas spirit.

At the end of the night Cindy Owen, Arc Midstate Executive Director, asked how I knew so many of the people.  I told her that I had known a couple, but that most of the people I had been talking with that night I met for the first time.  That was just the environment and the atmosphere of the event.  Everyone was there to have a good time together and it made it feel like I had volunteered there several times already.  This was a wonderful event to kick off the holiday season. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you again Tyler for your gifts of time,
    compassion and energy.

    ReplyDelete