Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Who was Uncle Vic?


He was my next door mentor when I was a kid.  All of us need one – an adult who cares about us unconditionally.  A person who models the positive traits that we absorb because we want to be like that person.
There are all kinds of programs in the community that help children and youth have a mentor.  Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Minnesota does amazing work.  Bigs are matched with children and youth who need someone in their lives, in addition to their parent, who can be there for them – spending time together on a regular basis.  Kids who are matched often get better grades, feel more confident in themselves and often volunteer, side by side, with their adult match.  It is a win for everyone involved.  United Way is very proud to support this program that creates magic in the lives of kids.
Want to hear a little about Uncle Vic?
He was a plumber.  When I was 10 we moved into Luverne from our farm about 7 miles outside of town.  My Dad had been ill and could no longer farm.  Luckily we moved in next door to Uncle Vic.  My Dad died of a heart attack about 4 months after we moved to town.  It was just Mom and me at this new home and I was adjusting to a new school and trying to make friends.  Mom needed to work long hours as the head cook at a restaurant/catering business.  So … Uncle Vic would always check in on me, sit and visit, tell me jokes – plumbers know good jokes!  We would play cards and he would bring over homemade lefse my Aunt Marie had made.  We would feed the squirrels and just talk. 
It meant the world to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment