Thursday, February 24, 2011

Be The Best Parent You Can Be


Edna was my Mom’s name.  Some said she was “the salt of the earth”.  I was fortunate to have her in my life.  She was the youngest girl of 11 brothers and sisters.  She knew how to work hard and she made the best creamed peas and meat loaf on this earth.  She had a hearty laugh and gentle brown eyes.
Why am I talking about Mom?
Well …  I was thinking about the “Best the Best Parent You Can Be” resource listing United Way has developed and recently updated.  It is a valuable list of local services that can help parents of children of all ages.   Early Childhood Family Education programs are listed for parents of young children who want to know how they can better support their youngest, counseling services for when times get tough, and services for families with children with special needs.  It is a great resource for every family.
This list is available on our United Way website under Success By 6 and we have, through an Initiative Foundation grant, printed thousands of copies we are distributing throughout the year. 
If you would like this list for your group – a church, a business, a service club or just for your family, check out the website or give us a call: 320-252-0227.  We would be very glad to provide them.
We all remember special things about our parents.  Mom often had to go to work early in the morning.  She would always leave a note on the kitchen table for me – sometimes just an “I love you” and sometimes a funny drawing that made me laugh.  She made sure I was safe and warm, had clothes and food.  We were friends and mother/daughter.  That made for great talks and times sitting on the roofed-in porch when the rain would pour.
Every child deserves someone like my Mom, Edna, in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment