Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Service for people experiencing a loss

When I was 37, my husband died.  He had acute mylogenous leukemia.  Our sons, ages 7 & 8, needed stability and help in understanding our changed family and how we could go on.

I sought out the Life Transitions program of Catholic Charities.  I did not go to any of the groups they have available but I met with a staff member.  They gave me materials I could absorb and we learned to adjust to our new "normal".


I was so very appreciative that this help existed.  We were fortunate that we had wonderful family with love and support.  But sometimes it is hard to talk with them when you are hurting.  They are hurting too.


This service still exists today, based out of a friendly warm home.  They have groups for people who are widowed, for children who have suffered loss, services for people who have experienced the challenges of loss through divorce, one to one help, and an array of resource information.  Help someone you know get connected to this United Way supported service.  It could change their life and make their future seem brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment